What is Aerocon Blocks
Autoclaved aerated concrete (AAC), also known as autoclaved cellular concrete (ACC), autoclaved lightweight concrete (ALC), autoclaved concrete, cellular concrete, porous concrete, Aircrete, Hebel Block, and Ytong is a lightweight, precast, foam concrete building material invented in the mid-1920s.
When was first Aerocon Blocks developed
AAC was developed in 1924 by a Swedish architect, who was looking for an alternate building material with properties similar to that of wood-good thermal insulation, solid structure and easy to work with-but without the disadvantage of combustibility, decay and termite damage.
It has been refined into a highy thermally insulating concrete-based meterial used for both internal construction
AAC products include blocks,wall panels,floor and roof panels,and lintels.
- Aerocon block has been produced for more than 70years, and it offers several significant advantages over other cement construction meterials, one of the most important being its lower environmental impact
- Improved thermal efficiency reduces the heating and cooling load in buildings
- Workability allows accurate cutting, which minimizes the generation solid waste during use
- Resource efficiency gives it lower environmental impact in all hases of its life cycle, from processing of raw materials to the disposal of waste.
- Light weight saves cost & energy in transportation
- Light weight saves labour expenses
- Light weight increases chances of survival during seismic activity
Both blocks are panels are available. Blocks are stacked similarly to conventional masonry, but with a thin-bed mortar, and panels are stood vertically,spanning full-story heights.
Panels extend from floor to top of the wall:
Height : Up to 20ft
Width : 25in
Thickness : 6,8,10 and 12in(4in thick interior partition panels are available)
Blocks are larger and lighter than traditional concrete masonry:
Height: 8in. typical
Width: 24in. long
Thickness: 4,6,8,10, and 12in.
A standard: 8x8x24in. unit weighs about 33lbs.
U-Shaped bond beam or lintel blocks are available in thicknesses of 8,10 and 12in tongue and groove vlocks are available from some manufacturers, and these connect to adjacent units without at vertical edges
Cored blocks available for creating vertical reinforced grouted cells
|Parameter||AAC Block||Concrete Block||Brick|
|Variation in dimensions||+/-1mm||+/-3mm||+/-5mm|
|Compressive Strength||30-50 kg/cm2||40-50 kg/cm2||25-30 kg/cm2|
|Fire Resistance Depending on thickness||2-6 Hours||4 Hours||2 Hours|
|Sound Reduction Index (dB)||42 for 200mm thick wall||30 for 200mm thick wall||40 for 230mm thick wall|
|Thermal Conductivity W/(K-m)||0.17||0.51||0.81|